My Family

My Family
My Family

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Take Up Your Cross

Clayton King was guest speaker at the Summit tonight and it was my first time hearing him and I must say WOW!!  That man is anointed for evangelism!!  Incredible!!  He laid it all on the table.  He taught from Mark 8 where Jesus tells His follwers to Take Up Their Cross and follow Him.  Clayton told us how taking up one's cross was a taboo statement for Jews at the time because of Roman rule and their persecution of the Jews so saying this was like saying I'll give you cancer if you follow me.  So why was this statement effective?  What did so many flock to Jesus even after that and even still today?  Because it is truth.  Salvation through Jesus costs us nothing.  Jesus paid the price for us all.  Discipleship costs us everything.  It IS taking up our cross and following Him in all avenues of our lives.  John 16:33 says, "These things I have told you so that in me you might have peace.  For in this world you will have trouble but take heart I have overcome the world."  Jesus paid the price for us on the cross, the ultimate way of showing God's love for us.  In His resurrection He overcame the world and all of sin, all for us.  As disciples of Christ, we must daily take up our cross and follow Him, give Him our lives and die to our selves. I don't say this flippantly because it is truly difficult to do but I pray that He will take me and make me one of His disciples, counting the costs but knowing the gain is my Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment